Friday, January 23, 2009

"To Roll or Not to Roll"

Several of my friends mentioned that I should have included the recipe in my last post. They were totally right and I was totally mean in not doing it. Really I have no idea why I didn't. I love this recipe and it is so easy. Anything with very few ingredients is great and the no roll thing is the best! So here it is:

"To Roll or Not to Roll" Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 375 degrees
FOR NO-ROLL COOKIES
In large bowl, beat sugar and butter on low speed or with spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, almond extract and egg. Stir in flour and baking soda. Shape dough by teaspoonfuls into balls. On ungreased cookie sheet, place 2 inches apart. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

FOR ROLLED CUTOUT COOKIES
Use 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar instead of 1 cup sugar. In large bowl, beat powdered sugar and butter on low speed or with spoon until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, almond extract and egg. Stir in flour and baking soda. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired seasonal shapes with 2 to 2 1/2-in cookie cutters. If cookies will not be frosted, sprinkle with sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place cutouts 2 inches apart. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

About 4 dozen cookies

Tomorrow I will get to posting about my mom again. She had a fantastic day Thursday when I was there and did some really fun things that I have pictures of.

4 clever remarks:

Brittney said...

Thanks for posting this! I think I'll make them with the girls tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Can't wait to hear the update about your mom!

Jeff and Sandy Gale said...

I'm in Burley watching Mindy's boys and we just put our batch of cookies in the oven. Easy!!!! Thanks for posting the recipe. The dough tasted good...yes, I'm a dough eater! Can't wait for them to come out of the oven!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I finally got to read the last few blogs. I have been babysitting grandkids and catching up on life! I just want you to know Kristi that you have such a wonderful Spirit. Your mom was truly blessed when she had you. You have such a positive attitude and such great love for your mom. It is a beautiful thing. When your mom gets to the point of being able to read this (note my positive attitude)she is going to be so moved by your love and complete compassion and service. I feel so grateful that you have blogged all of this so I can get to know you better than I did. I am also so grateful to be better prepared when we finally get there to visit. I wasn't really happy with how long we are waiting to come to visit, but maybe it will be better for your mom. I love your mother very much. I have known her now for almost 34 years now, longer than I have known my children. It is an interesting thought. There are recording angels Kristi, taking note of every sacrifice you have made. The Lord is surely so pleased.

Thanks for the cookie recipe, I am excited to try them. I am not sure if I like chocolate chip cookies more or if it is a tie! My kids would say sugar cookies would be my favorite, it is my first pick if I am buying cookies at a bakery.

Well, we love you very much! Say hi to all and especially your mom!

Janna said...

Yum!

Do you have contact info for Holly, by chance?

Thanks...