Friday, March 5, 2010

I Can Sew Zippers!

Photobucket
I finished one of my Boppy covers and love it. I actually sewed in a zipper. I am so proud of myself and was scared out of my mind to do it. This was such an easy, fast project. Now that I have the hang of it, it shouldn't take long at long to make more (because they are fun and happy!). My high school friend Stacey, with It's Fun to Craft, would also be proud of me for washing my fabric ahead of time to prevent shrinkage later on. She wrote up a tip about washing it and I've heard how that should be done anyway, and I have never done it. Don't know why. I actually really liked the feel of the fabric after it was washed so I am converted now.
Photobucket
Anyway, the zipper was fun, let me tell ya. I honestly didn't even know what to do when I got to the part I had to sew over the zipper. I went for it and got my needle stuck in between the teeth! It broke the needle and bent it. Easy to replace, so I thought. I thought that I had it all the way in place but realized that I didn't. I took it back out and the needle slipped down a teeny, tiny hole in my sewing machine. I had to take apart the entire bobbin area to find it. It is kind of a good thing that I did because there was so much thread fluff down there that needed to be cleaned anyway. So after that fiasco, I googled sewing in zippers and learned alot. It looks really good for my first attempt and can't wait to do the other one.
Photobucket
Gunnar also thinks that him and the baby can share the pillow. He will lay on one side and the baby on the other. Hate to burst his bubble, but not everything will always be his.

7 clever remarks:

Elizabeth said...

They are adorable. I love the fabric choices!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

I just love Hobby Lobby's fabric. SO excited there is one in Boise now!! Great job on the zippers and the whole cover. TOO cute! I am exctied to see the other one too.

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

OH, and great job on washing your fabric first. I really do think it is kind of addicting to do once you start. It just makes the fabric feel nicer. ;)

AMY AND MIKEY said...

LOVE it! And good job trying something new!

Amber H. said...

Good job! I still have never sewn a zipper. You are way more brave than me! The boppy looks great though!

Mindy said...

Turned out great! I remember when I sewed a zipper. I think I broke and bent my needle too and I have had needles fall down that dumb little hole too. Good job! And yeah, Gunnar is in for a big awakening that not everything is his anymore.

mandbrid said...

It looks wonderful! BTW...if you can sew a zipper you can surely quilt!