Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Introducing...Captian Underwears!

Can you tell that we have a potty trainee in the house. Gunnar has been quite obsessed with carrying around underwear lately. So the other night he was out in the garage helping Jeff and in he walks...with underwear on his head. He thought that was the greatest thing. He loved it. He even methodically turned for me to get all of the angles. Too funny.

About potty training, it is not fun. I did not expect it to be but really. I can completely handle the pee part. I have been peed on several times already. Their aim is perfect to go in between the seat and rim of the toilet. It just some how goes right through. The poop on the other hand makes me gag. There have been several times where he is taking of his underwear and it falls right there on the floor. At the same time I am just gagging and gagging. I can not help it. I gagged at his baby diapers so I don't expect different at all. It is just so gross! On the brighter side, he is doing pretty well. We have been at it for about 3 weeks and he is trying his hardest. I can't ask for more. One of these days this will be behind me and future kids #2 will be right behind. Do you have any great tips or suggestions on potty training?

6 clever remarks:

mandbrid said...

All I can say is Good Luck!

Amber H. said...

3 weeks?! Yikes! For the peeing part, they have those little trainer seats you can buy at wal mart. You just set them on top of the toilet seat, and they come with a pee guard. That will hopefully help you in that department! For my girls I just waited until I totally knew they were ready, and then I just put them on the toilet every 30 minutes (I set a timer and it gets old REALLY fast, but it worked!) and I gave them tons of stuff to drink. After about a day and a half they all got it with no problems. I also gave them rewards for peeing and pooping, even though I'm sure you do that already, but they got two skittles when they peed and a starburst when they pooped. Most kids are more afraid of going #2 so you have to find something that they REALLY want. With Felicity it was movies. We let her watch a movie every time she went. Good luck though! I hope your misery will soon be over. Cleaning up bodily functions is the worst! :o)

Trenton & Maren said...

Potty training- so much fun! Haha! I like to forget those moments. Rinsing poopy underwear makes me gag too. I tried everything with Jace. Treats, sticker charts, putting stickers on his potty chair, praise and sad to say that I even showed frustration and got mad at him quite a bit. It took a lot of work. But what finally helped him was a bubblegum machine. Every time he did the deed he got a penny and could use it for some gum from the bubblegum machine. He loves gum, so I should have tried this sooner. Plus, I think I tried too early with him. Timing is really the biggest help, I think. I started training Jace at age 2, but he was very resistant half the time. It literally took me months to get him fully trained. My sister in law tried with her boy when he turned 3, and he was trained in 2 days. So. . .I think age or readiness probably does help a ton. All I can say is good luck, good luck. Oh, and just wait until they learn to pee while standing. You will be cleaning walls and floors every day. (Just thought of one other trick for boys. Put cheerios in the toilet and they love to aim at them!!) :-)

Orton Family said...

Gunner you look great!!! I am sorry about the Gagging - that is the worst! I bet you are doing a great job with the potty training. Every child is so different it is tricky to know what is going to work for everyone. A few things that helped for me was getting myself to recognize what time my children usually go (especially #2) and then to be sure they have an opportunity to go around that time. So you end up thinking a lot about it as a mom - They wake up - we go, anytime we go somewhere we go before we leave and right when we get home, before and after naps we go, after dinner and right before bed. You know what I mean - because you are doing it! One important thing is to make the switch to big boy pants and to not go back!! They will have accidents, but it gets better. We kept going back with Jane and it took a long time to train her. Another thing we did a lot was talk about it. - What it feels like before you need to and what you should do, etc. And try to keep it positive - the hardest part!!! Good luck! (PS - Don't feel bad about throwing away some pants if you just can't do it!)

Betsy said...

that is hilarious, man i love gunnar he seriously is always cracking me up

Camille said...

We always had our boys sit when tey pee'd and always had problems t=with it shooting out.. Then my friend howed me their method. Step stool right in front of the toilet. The boys stand on it and put their hands on the tank, leaning forward. Much less accidents. For the number two. I'm afraid I can't help much. It's just kind of icky and yucky till they get the hang of it.