Thursday, February 19, 2009

She comes HOME tomorrow

Tomorrow is the big day and boy is she exciting. A little nervous but very exciting. The weekend visits I think really helped. She knows that care at home can be done and that she recognizes things there. We are all so excited to see her home. It is going to be such a huge adjustment for everyone but for the better. This is definately the start of the next chapter in her book. Okay, so like everything else, we have rules.

My parents do NOT want ANY visitors this weekend. And they mean it. It even includes us, their kids. They don't want anyone. From the very first day that my dad arrived home from Iraq, they really have not had a day or two that they have been somewhat normally together alone. Last weekend was supposed to be that weekend but it didn't happen.

A sweet sister in their ward suggested that we have a sign on the front door letting visitors know to call for a better time when my mom is resting etc. She went through a fairly similar situation so this was something that worked for them really well. I would think that the same would apply. It applies to everyone regardless who you are. We plan on doing this. This person mentioned that visitors just drained her so her rest was very important.

The next couple of weeks are going to be with change for sure. Getting used to an outpatient schedule and new therapists and mom being home will be a lot.

Brent and Noelle are planning on flying in March 4-8th. We are all so excited. I miss those guys. My dad is also planning on returning to Iraq March 7 or 8th. Not sure which. My dad has 6 months left to fulfill his contract over there. This decision was made by both my mom and dad. The plan is that I will be watching my mom during the day and Heidi at night and Mindy on Sundays. It will be a huge change for all of us but once we get into a schedule and groove, things will go more smoothly. It is going to take at least several weeks for that to be acheived. So many from my ward have asked how they can help me since knowing this. Honestly I don't even know what they can do. There literally are so many unknowns right now. Time will tell where help is needed from anyone and everyone. Gunnar and I will have busy days of taking my mom to and from appointments and therapies. Honestly I find it kind of fun and interesting. This entire things has been intriguing. I really love the therapies the best. Just amazing.

4 clever remarks:

Amanda said...

I am so glad your mom gets to go home! I hope she continues to get better. Good Luck! She is in my thoughts and Prayers!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I think the Lord has blessed you with a special endowment Kristi. You have such a good attitude. I am glad you find it fun and interesting. When Don finally comes back, Gunnar will think that life isn't normal. I am excited to come next week! We love you all so much!

Lizzie said...

Wow. I can't imagine how close your family has become through all of this. I can't imagine how much closer you girls will be to your Mom after those 6 months. I can't imagine the feelings going on with your Dad right now, having to go back to Iraq. Wow, is all I can say. Know you are still in our prayers and we love you all. Take care.

Jeff and Sandy Gale said...

I hope your mom is home and adjusting well. I understand your dad & mom needing time together. I can't believe he has to go back to Iraq. That will be hard on your mom, but she is so blessed to have such wonderful children to care for her. You are all in my thoughts and prayer.