Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Love Homemade

Since Jeff and I were married, we had two store bought Christmas stockings. I never really liked them from the beginning but they served their purpose. When Gunnar was born, we bought him a stocking. Obviously six years later we would never found one that matched. It served its purpose until this year and we had Brecken and I never really liked any of ours to begin with. Instead I decided to make ours this year from sweaters. I traced one of the old stockings on the sweater, sewed around it following my outline, cut the stocking out and then sewed a couple of more times for reinforcement. The top of the stocking is the bottom of the sweater. Is that not the coolest thing. I found the tutorial at Remodelaholic. I really like them now. I really like that they are similar in that they are sweaters but different at the same time. I love that I can make another one as children are added to the family. The only stocking missing is Diesel's blue one that I still need to make. I had two of the sweaters and then shopped the thrift stores for the others.
Photobucket
Jeff's is the green/white striped. I love this one. It is sooo soft. Mine is the multistriped. I really like it. Jeff was totally opposed to it and Gunnar is obsessed with red so it became mine. Gunnar's is the plainer of the reds. He instantly became attached to this one. Brecken's is the more textured red one by default and because Gunnar insisted that theirs match. Diesel's will be just light Brecken's but in light blue and probably a little smaller. I plan on making monograms that will hang on them but that is low on my project list right now.
As they get more use, they will probably get better in shape. I hope so. What do you think? Is this a hit or miss?

8 clever remarks:

Megan and Greg said...

I like it. Really cool.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE that look.And I agree on the store bought stockings- they aren't lined and they're just ugly.

Brittney said...

Nice job! Did you know you can make fingerless gloves out of the sleeves?! I bought a bunch of wool sweaters and felted them, some I have made the fingerless gloves out of and some I have made mittens too. So fun to repurpose!

Danielle said...

SO Cute! I love them! I agree- homemade is so much more fun.

Beth said...

This is a hit! I love them! We had two stockings and never ever found a third one to match... now Jacob is 18 and I have hated our stockings forever. So sad, but I am picky and never found a set I really loved after the first two... so I just didn't bother. I might have to start a new tradition now, it's never too late right? And I love that with these you can add to them (maybe a daughter in law one day, or a ton of grand kids). Very cute idea! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I really love them! I like how they look like feet. I love the different colors and how you can add to them later, that the color doesn't matter. A definite hit! love you!!

Janna said...

Fun! I made sweater stockings this year, too. I like them so much better!!

shellysanford said...

very cute!