Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ahhh! Nursery!

Okay, so I was recently the YW 2nd counselor over the 12-13 year old girls at church. Now my new calling is the Nursery Leader. Talk about a complete shift and complete surprise at that. I will be honest and say that I was not happy. And it had nothing to do with leaving YW. I was fine with that and could tell that change would be happening sometime. I would have been in there for 3 years in a week or two, so I knew something would be happening. However, I did not expect Nursery in a long shot. I was originally not happy that I was getting calling. It actually made me frustrated. I cried for about 3 days because I didn't want to be in there. They must have been inspired to not officially call me in church until 2 weeks after I knew. I would have completely cried while they were calling me I was that upset. Now that I have had a chance to wrap my brain around it and research a bunch of stuff on the calling, I am okay. I am a little excited for a change of pace. Something challenging and different since I am the one ultimately responsible for making it run right. I have been in high gear this week trying to get some things ready for Sunday.

Does anyone have any fun ideas or resources that they would like to share about teaching 18month-3 year olds. I don't even care if you have never had the calling but have great ideas. Please share. I would love to hear them all.

5 clever remarks:

Camille said...

I don't have any advise except to say keep the lessons to about 5 minutes. :)

Just remember Nursery is the only calling were you get to have snacks every Sunday with the kids. that was my favorite part...

mandbrid said...

mmmm...SNACKS!
Our stake president told the nursery leaders that they had the best calling in the church - he said "think about it...where would Jesus choose to be, but with the little ones". I thought what he said was great and gave a whole new perspective to a nursery calling. You'll do great!

Orton Family said...

Kristi - It is true that every calling is not always that exciting to us and I am thankful that you shared your honest feelings. I have felt that way before too, but usually things work out to being much better than I thought and I end up feeling very sad when it is time to be released. I do know too that the Lord prepares you for callings and teaches you a bunch (Which you already know that!). I am excited that you get to be in there with Gunner. You know where these children are at, what they need, what they are interested in at this age, and what they can do and learn. You are such a fun mother and you are going to be awesome in nursery! Sometimes I think we underestimate the ability of our little children learning the gospel - but they do want to learn it, and they already love it, you get to be very creative and I just love how sweet and simply they teach the basic truths of the gospel in nursery that we all need to be reminded of. We think you are going to do great! Good luck Kristi!

Kris and Nathan said...

Hey Kristi - I was cleaning up my email when I came across one you sent me a while back with your blog address. I am so glad I found it, your blog is adorable. Gunnar is a cutie! I can't beleive he is two already. I love your hula pics, looks like fun!

Shauna said...

Nathan and I have done nursery twice in our marriage. So when we got the calling in this ward, I too wasn't very excited. BUT it all worked out and actually it isn't too bad and when I left I really missed the kids. I suggest they play for the 1st hour and then when they clean up make it fun and encourage the kids to help (don't just do it yourself) because this teaches them a life skill. After they played we'd have snack time and of course that's the best part, except on fast Sunday (although I was pregnant and it only tortured Nathan) Then we'd sing songs and have the lesson. Keep the lesson short and interactive (make a board with pictures of the songs they sing and have them come up and choose themselves) and then we always did ring around the roses, blew bubbles etc at the end. I'm sure you'll do great!