Monday, April 20, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I am so excited for the season to start. I've officially started a couple of weeks ago with new raspberry starts and getting the peas planted. On Saturday I noticed that the peas are starting to poke through the soil. I am so excited about that. We also planted about 8 raspberry starts that I bought from a person on craigslist. They are thornless Canby and they are second year starts. I can't wait to have raspberries this year and years to come.

I also bought my tomatoes and pepper plants Monday. In a few minutes I plan on planting them while Gunnar is at preschool. I am so excited to get this going. Yesterday Jeff finished trimming our huge pinetree that is next to the garden and then tilled it. We are ready. I also bought lettuce. I want to try growing it. Wish me luck on that one.

This year I am growing:
Roma, Early Girl, Patio and Fantastic tomatoes
Romaine and Buttercrunch lettuce
California Wonder bell peppers

I will keep you posted as I plant more later in the season.

I read a post on craigslist that someone bought their veggie plants at Pauls. I thought that I would check them out. They had awesome plants at the one near me. Their 1 gal. tomatoes were $3.58. They were nice healthy looking plants. They also had one of the tomato varieties that I had trouble finding. They also sold plants in four packs and larger. Most places sell them in the peat cup things and nothing smaller. If you have one near you, give them a try. They are incredibly reasonable for price unlike their food items in the store.

So what variety of tomatoes (or any veggies for that matter) are you planting this year? I am always looking for good recommendations.

2 clever remarks:

Megan and Greg said...

Super cool. I LOVE to garden and have been wanting to start one for years now, but haven't really had the ability to (apartment living 'n all). I'm excited for you! It motivates me for the future!

Danielle said...

Good for you- I have a place to garden this year and I am SO DOING IT! I am so excited! Keep us posted!!!