Thursday, February 18, 2010

Necklaces Galore...What To Do

Somehow I have accumulated a fair amount of necklaces for me. If you really know me, you know that jewelry is not my thing but somehow I have many necklaces and like wearing them. I needed something to corral them and hang them up.
Photobucket
I have been eyeing this board all summer long when I would pull the lawnmower out of my parent's shop. This was used to display knobs and things for a lumberyard that went out of business. It is really big measuring in at 22"x22".
My plan was to utilize the color underneath, paint this cool light blue color I found in the oops section at Home Depot for $1/qt a couple of weeks ago, then spray paint in black. Then paint it this spring green that I got for free when Glidden was giving away free quarts online a while ago. Then sand it down in places and age it with Minwax walnut stain.
Photobucket
While I painted away, layer after layer, Gunnar wanted to paint as well and loved it. However I discovered that he has interest in art like the size of a snail. He enjoys it for about 5 minutes, then he is done. He may come back to it, but the same thing happens...done in 5 minutes.
I was really pleased with the finished product of my board. I love how the blue comes through here and there and there and I have always loved how walnut stain looks on things.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I plan on adding cup hooks (apparently I don't have any around the house) where I need them and hanging this in my bathroom. I have flower hair clips that need a home, so I was thinking of adding a ribbon somewhere, stapling it on and clipping the flowers onto it. We'll see what the final, final project ends up looking like. This was a lot of fun and I am so pleased with the final results.
One last thing. While I was taking the outside pictures, Gunnar followed me out with an apple that cracked in half. He wanted me to take a picture of him talking with the apple up and down as if it was a puppet. Silly boy.
Photobucket

7 clever remarks:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LVOE LOVE this!!!!!!!!!! I love that look- the worn out look, with other colors coming through- love hte colors you picked- love it. and I love that bead board. very cool. and your son is cute- do people say he looks so much like robin?

mandbrid said...

I want one too! I've been accumulating some necklaces and earrings and I have been looking for a way to store them - especially the necklaces - something that doesn't scream "I want my 80's grandma back!". This is PERFECT! I can't wait to see the end result. Do you mind if I try to make one someday???

Hannah said...

very cute! Your are so creative.

Amber H. said...

Ok, so I totally want one of those! I have a trillion necklaces that I have hanging on little nails in my closet. It is such a pain and I hate the way it looks. Seriously, if you ever decide to make one of those to sell let me know, or if you might be willing to make one of those for me, let me know! I would LOVE it! Great job, it's so awesome!

Mindy said...

I am attempting to make my version of a jewelry holder today. Rillz and I went to savers last night and I got this ugly thingy in hopes to turn it into a pretty jewelry holder. I don't know what colors to do it. I did dream about craft projects ALL night! I kid you not. Anyways, Gunnar is cute with his wanting to be in pictures... he has his moms picture syndrome.

HeidiT said...

It looks great! I was laughing at the total craftiness difference between us -- I made a necklace/bracelet holder this summer for our closet and it is a corkboard with colorful pushpins staggered on it so that I can hang my stuff up. Not beautiful but it works great and I love it!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

Very cute!! I love it!