Wednesday, April 21, 2010

This Better Be The Last

Photobucket
Gunnar went to sleep Sunday and threw up for the very first time in his entire little life that night in bed. It was so scary for him. Poor thing. We continue the lovely cycle for the next few hours until it was all out of his system and he went to sleep. It's actually nice having him older and getting sick like this for the very first time. He told me every single time he needed to go the bathroom and understood what the bucket was for. He was such a good boy. He is still on the mend. Was doing much better the next day but still tired with little appetite. I had my mom stop by and sit with him while I ran to the store for Pedialyte. Gunnar thought that was great. I also told him that he needed to eat bananas to help his bum and tummy get better. Instead he told me that he could stick the banana in his bum and that would help it. Four year old boys are so gross.

Jeff is now sick with the same thing this morning. This is all so gross. However I am thankful that we each experienced it at different times. I can't even imagine if Jeff and I were both sick at the same time, like our friend's experienced. Our family is never sick but apparently when it hits, it hits us hard.

Has anyone else heard of the BRAT diet when you are sick? I totally thought this was common knowledge until I was talking to Mindy and she assumed this was some special diet that I made up. My visiting teacher from church was also here this week and she had never heard of it either. It stands for Bananas, Rice, Apples (or applesauce), and Toast. You only start these things after all throwing up is done, about 6-12 hours after the first (and an all liquid diet to prevent dehydration). This will help calm the tummy and stop the diarrhea. Totally works.

1 clever remarks:

katy said...

Poor guy, Throwing up is the worst ever. I am very familiar with vomit. I don't even know how many times Ivy's thrown up and she is just 2. Doesn't it make you feel so helpless. I have heard of the brat diet. Never used it though.