Wednesday, July 28, 2010

3 Weeks

Photobucket
I can not even believe that my little Brecken is 3 weeks old today. It feels like I had him yesterday. But then again it feels like I had him a long time ago too. He is growing like a weed. He is a happy little boy, super content. He can suprisingly hold his head up really well. I didn't really notice until a friend pointed it out last week. He is such a good eater. After my nursing experience with Gunnar, I was really hoping that things would go so much smoother and they have. He has it all figured out. He is really easy to calm down. We have yet to need a pacifier and I plan on seeing how long I can go without needing it.
WIC (Women, Infant, Children-goverment program) is so messed up. Let me explain. We had an appointment to recertify me, Gunnar and get Brecken on the program. For those that don't know what it is. It is a program that helps families that qualify with nutritious foods like milk, eggs, bread, fruits, vegetables, cheese... Anyway, we qualify and it really does help offset the costs of the basics I buy anyway. So we headed in. As part of recertifying they ask all sorts of questions and do weight/heights. Towards the end of the visit they deemed Gunnar underweight and now we have to see a nutritionist again. We had to do that a few months ago and the lady drove me nuts. Total waste of my time but whatever, I will play your game. Brecken weighed 9lbs 9oz and 20.25in long. He grew over a pound in a week. AND they deemed him underweight according to their charts. What!? It made no sense to me but whatever, we have to go see the nutritionist for both of them.
Tuesday, I had a well check scheduled for Brecken. I really wanted to know what Dr. Massart said about all of this and their outcome. Brecken weighed 9lbs 14oz and measured 20.75in long in their office. For some reason I believe them more. Maybe because the WIC staff drives me nuts. I asked Dr. Massart what he was charting at because I had a WIC appointment the day before. Before I could even explain why I was asking she said, "Oh no! WIC drives me crazy. They don't have you freaked out do they." No they don't, I don't really pay them much attention. I explained why I wanted to know, she did the numbers and concluded that my so-called underweight baby was in the 97th percentile! He was so far from underweight. Even if we ran their numbers, he would still be in the normal range. WIC is crazy and I plan on calling to get out of that appointment in a month because they have no idea what they are talking about. I love my doctor and I am glad that she thinks they are crazy too.
So what have we been up to.
Photobucket
Not sure why Jeff always has the urge to grab the camera when I am sleeping and no other time. I have many of these types with Gunnar too. Really attractive I tell ya.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Monday was Jeff's first day back to work in over 2 weeks. I was so worried but it actually went really smooth. Gunnar was such a good boy and helper when I asked. When Jeff got home, he became crazy. Overly crazy. Same thing happened yesterday. Not sure what his deal is. He goes in overdrive trying to seek attention. I can see as time goes on, the novelty of everything is starting to wear off. Gunnar actually let Brecken sleep in the swing for a full 3 hours without bugging him. Miracle.

5 clever remarks:

Megan and Greg said...

What the heck is up with WIC???? That is CRAZY!!! Gunnar doesn't look underweight to me and 97th percentile? I just can't say anything else. The hoops we have to jump through, but we do it 'cause the benefits are good. SO ANNOYING. I love the sleep pics. I just think they're so REAL.

HeidiT said...

I love how Gunnar is happy as can be in the first pic and Breck is like "Crap, it's this kid again -- why does she keep letting him get a hold of me?!"
Who the heck do they hire to work at WIC? They are so incompetent. If it were one or two things, then ok maybe, but it's every time you go in there.

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe they would say that Breckin is underweight at all either. Crazy WIC people. Glad to hear that things are starting to go more smoothly.

Brittney said...

Just wait until they tell you one of them is overweight. When we were on it with Lacey I had to take her in all the time because she was overwieght. PULEEZZ!! What you have to do to get a little help. The problem is people who don't take care of thier kids and make the rest of the people have to suffer. Hopefully you can get out of it!

McDowell Family said...

I have had the same experience at WIC! They told me that my then 4 1/2 year old daughter was borderline obese!!!! WHAT! I just went today to add myself and I had lost 4 lbs since my last OB appointment 3 weeks ago. We went on Trek and that's what probably did it, anyway the lady was very concerned so they have me coming back in 1 month to make sure I gain enough!!! AAaarrrggg! They make me crazy! Don't feel like you are the only one, I am right there with you!