Friday, December 17, 2010

Counting the Days

This year we had two different advent type things going on. The first is our yearly Hawaiian advent calendar. I've had this since we were first married and still love it. Gunnar is all over this one this year. He calls it the Ho-why calendar.
Photobucket
This year we started counting down 24 days with a Christmas/winter book each night. I knew that I wanted to do this for some time so I started gathering books from thrift stores throughout the year. I added them to the nicer books that I already had and wrapped them individually. Gunnar opens one each night and we read it. He loves it! The themes are so different from night to night. As I continue to collect the nicer ones, I can slowly weed out some of the others as my kids grow.

1 clever remarks:

Penny Cluff said...

What a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that when my children were young. I am guessing that it will not only be a treasured memory for your children, but also instill a love of books.